Morgan Motor Company, United Kingdom

Morgan Motor Company, United Kingdom

Morgan Motor Company, U.K.


H.F.S. Morgan

Malvern, Worcestershire, England


Morgan is a British Motor Company established since 1910 by H.F.S. Morgan (Henry Frederick Stanley). The company headquartered situated in Malvern, Worcestershire, England. The revenue of the company was (All divisions) £26 million (UK Companies House 2015 Financials). Morgan is based in Malvern Link, an area of Malvern, Worcestershire and numbers of employees were 177 people. Morgan has confirmed that they produce "in excess of 1300" cars every year.



H.F.S. Morgan gives up the Great Western Railway since 1904 and co-founded a motor sales and servicing garage in Malvern Link. He designed and manufactured a car for his personal use since 1909. He started production a year later and the company to be a success. Morgan was constant to run it until he died at age 77 since 1959. Peter Morgan was the son of HFS, ran the company until a few years before his death in 2003. He was changed as chairman by Alan Garnett, a non-family director, from 2003 to 2006. After Garnett's resignation, a 4-man managing team was set up.

After that, Charles Morgan, son of Peter, Matthew Parkin, Tim Whitworth, and Steve Morris created the new administrative team, and in 2010, after Mr. Parkin's resignation, Charles Morgan was named Managing Director. Morgan was removed as Managing Director in January 2013 and it changed by Steve Morris, but continued as plan director until October 2013 when he was removed both as an employee and member of the Board of Directors.

In the end of 2013, the investors appointed Andrew Duncan, a local pleader, as the Chairman. In 2016, he resigned as Chairman and company director and was changed as Chairman by a new director by Dominic Riley, a proficient chairman.


Early cars: Three-wheelers and 4-4s

The former cars were 2-seat or 4-seat 3-wheelers, and are so, it considered to be cyclecars. Three-wheeled vehicles avoided by the British tax on cars by being classified as motorcycles. Contest from small cars like the Austin 7 and the original Morris Minor, with similar economy and price and better comfort, prepared cyclecars less attractive.


V-Twin three-wheelers (1911–1939)

H.F.S. Morgan's first car design was a single-seat three-wheeled runabout, which was made-up for his own use since 1908, with the help from William Stephenson-Peach, the father of friends, and the engineering master at Malvern College. It motorized by a 7 hp (5.2 kW; 7.1 PS) Peugeot twin cylinder engine. Morgan decided a two-seater was needed to meet market demand. In 1911, it manufactured, adding a bonnet, windscreen, wheel steering, and crank starting and it was presented at the 1911 Motorcycle Show. An agency was taken up by the Harrod's Department store in London, with a selling price of £65. The Morgan became the only car ever to come into view in a shop window at Harrods.

In 1912, Morgan get started to win the trophy offered by the Light Car & Cyclecar for greatest distance roofed in an hour, at Brooklands. The single-seater covered 55 mi (89 km), only to be only just compressed by a GWK.


F-Series three-wheelers (1932–1952)

In 1933, the Morgan F-4 was appeared in the Olympia Motorcycle Show and the F-4 had a new pressed-steel chassis, 4-cylinder Ford Side valve engine used in the Model Y, and a 4-seat body. The F-4 was supplemented by the two-seat F-2 in 1935 and the more sporting F Super, with cycle-type wings and fenestrate bonnet tops, in 1937. Making of the Ford-engined three-wheelers continued until 1952.



Morgan's first four-wheeler, named the 4–4 because it had a four-cylinder engine and four wheels, was issued to the public in 1935, and it Powered by a 34 hp (25 kW, 34 PS) 1,122cc (68.5 cu in) Coventry Climax engine, and carrying a pair of rear-mounted spare wheels, the new two-seater 4–4 sold for 185 guineas(£194 5s). It proved popular, and a four-place model was added in 1937, merged by a £236 drophead in 1938. Coventry Climax finally over making engines available, so Morgan switched to a tuned 1,267 cc (77.3 cu in) Standard Motor Company Ten, generating 39 hp (29 kW, 40 PS).

Since 1938, a 4–4 was present at Le Mans. This led to production of factory prototypes, with fold up windscreen, cycle fenders, smaller-shifting engine, & single spare wheels, with a price of £250.


Postwar cars

  • Morgan +4
  • Morgan +4+
  • Morgan 4/4
  • Morgan +8
  • Roadster
  • Morgan Aero 8 (Series I-V)
  • Morgan AeroMax
  • Morgan Aero Super Sports
  • Morgan Aero Coupe
  • Morgan Aero Plus 8
  • Morgan Plus E
  • Morgan Eva GT
  • Morgan 3-Wheeler



General characteristics

In spite of their customary design, Morgan’s have always had sporting or "sports car" presentation, due to their very low weight. Among their enthusiasts, Morgan’s are lovingly known as "Moggies".


H.F.S. Morgan's 1909 Runabout used sliding pillar suspension, an independent front suspension system with each front wheel mounted on a stub axle able to slide up and down a fixed pillar that also acts as the kingpin and supported by a spring and external shock absorber (damper). The Morgan system is stated as an 'inverted' sliding pillar, as the pillar is fixed and the hub carrier slides over it. Former systems had the wheel carried on the pillar, sliding through a bush on the axle.


Share post