Ursus S.A., Poland

Ursus S.A., Poland

Ursus S.A.

 

Established
1893
Predecessor

Headquarters
Lublin, Poland

 

Ursus SA is an innovative and innovative company from the automotive sector. It is the largest Polish manufacturer of tractors and agricultural machinery, as well as a leader in the electromobility segment. The Ursus brand with its 125-year tradition has become synonymous with the mechanization of Polish agriculture. The company offers a wide range of vehicles, machines and devices manufactured for agriculture, both in the country and in the world. Ursus products meet the expectations and needs of all generations of farmers - they combine the tradition of Polish motoring with modernity and world quality. At the same time, the Company is
successfully developing the urban transport segment, offering around 10 models of buses and city trolleybuses, including electric and hybrid buses.

 

History

The Ursus Factory was founded in Poland in 1893 on 15 Sienna Street, Warsaw, by three engineers and four businessmen. It began producing exhaust engines and then later trucks and metal fittings intended for the Russian Tsar. In 1930, the Ursus factory fell on hard times due to the world financial crisis and was nationalised under the Państwowe Zakłady Inzynieryjne (National Engineering Works, PZInz), the Polish manufacturer of arms and vehicles. It then began producing military tractors, tanks and other heavy machinery for troops. During the German occupation of Poland in World War II the factory was controlled by FAMO and produced Panzer II, Marder II and Wespe AFVs. After the war, the Ursus Factory started producing the Ursus C-45, a copy of the German pre-war Lanz Bulldog tractor. During the 1950s, the Ursus factory began producing tractors using a Zetor-based design.

By 1961, there was a growing need for tractors in Poland, but the tractors produced by the Ursus factory did not meet the needs of Polish agriculture. A bilateral agreement was created between Poland and Czechoslovakia, where Czechoslovakia would provide the Ursus factory with the parts necessary to enlarge and modernise the factory and in exchange, Poland would supply Czechoslovak factories with raw materials. The goal was to construct a joint tractor industry where Poland and Czechoslovakia would combine to produce 120,000 tractors per year, as in 1963 Poland was only producing 15,000. The company currently has three production plants: in Dobre Miasto, in Opalenica and the largest in Lublin, where it employs a total of about 800 people. Ursus produces annually about 1.5 thousand tractors and several thousand agricultural machines sold in Poland and abroad.

The group belongs to the group of key investors in the Lublin region, where it develops its production facilities and research and development laboratory. In developing innovative technological solutions, Ursus R & D cooperates with engineers from: Lublin University of Technology, Warsaw University of Technology, Military University of Technology in Warsaw and University of Zielona Gora. The Management Board wants to use the strength of the brand and the potential of Polish engineers and constructors to create a modern research and production center in Lublin. During last year's edition of the Congress, 590 Ursus SA and Grupa Azoty SA signed an agreement to popularize ecological alternative fuels, such as hydrogen, and to develop technologies necessary to implement this type of drive.

In 1974. in London, a Polish-British cooperation agreement was signed for the production of modern agricultural tractors, under which ZPC "Ursus" undertook the production of tractors licensed by Massey-Ferguson. For the purposes of this project a new Massey-Ferguson-Perkins (MFP) company was established.

In 1984, the first series of license tractors adapted to the needs of the Polish market came off the assembly lines. It was a 47-hp MF-255 model. In the following years successive models of MF tractors with powers of 38-66HP were successively introduced in production in 1993. start producing the 72 hp model. In parallel with the development of licensing production of the Ministry of Finance, the production of heavy tractors also developed.

The years 1960-1990 were a period of intensive development of Polish technical thought, which was also reflected in the development of farm tractor structures, over which teams of great specialists worked - constructors and technologists. The "URSUS" brand has become recognizable throughout the world, and tractors with a bear in the coat of arms have made a world-class career, which - years ago even in the wildest dreams - the founders did not dream with their seven beautiful daughters.

 

Ursus Tractors:


 

 

 

Share post